Monday, September 25, 2006

NBC edits Jesus, God and the Bible out of cartoon 'Veggie Tales'

NBC has stirred up the pot — of vegetable stew.

Two weeks ago, the network began airing episodes of the Veggie Tales video series in its Saturday morning children's lineup. The popular series encourages moral behavior based on Christian and biblical principles.

NBC has edited the programs to reduce or get rid of totally references to God and the Bible. The show's creator, Phil Vischer, said he had no idea such editing would be done, or he wouldn't have signed the contract.

| | | | |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admit that Veggie Tales has made me sick since I was a kid (I was still young enough when they first came out) but this is kind of odd. I mean, I do not know whether I would show Veggie Tales to my kids due to my sensitivity to the indoctrination of children, but Veggie Tales is a Christian show. I suppose it is alright as long as they keep making the "Christian" versions alongside for those who want them. Unless, of course, they only want Christians to have good morals.

Anonymous said...

This is so ridiculously stupid, but I guess that's NBC for you. Why would they even bother signing a CHRISTIAN cartoon, if they planned to edit the Christian content out of it in the first place? If they wanted a non-Christian cartoon, why didn't they just start putting re-runs of SouthPark on TV instead? I don't blame Phil Vischer for being ticked off. God help NBC...