Monday, September 18, 2006

Put a Huggable Jesus doll under your kid's Christmas tree

When I was a wee lad being dragged to Sunday School kicking and screaming, my little sister would mangle the lyrics to the hymn "Love Lifted Me" by singing "Love Tiny Tears," a reference to a doll of that name that was then popular.

Today, maybe they actually write hymns about dolls, for all I know.

Just in time for Christmas, that most pagan of all Christian holidays, Boston Bible-thumper Cliff Rockwood and his unnamed wife are hawking $9.99 Huggable Jesus, Huggable Esther and Huggable Moses, plush dolls "that pack fun and faith into one lovable, kid-sized package."

Huggable Moses holds two pilliow-like tablets and recites the Ten Commandments. Huggable Esther, wearing royal robes and a crown, says, "God had a plan for my life just like he has one for yours."

Rockwood told reporters, "I wanted [my daughter] to have a doll that delivers a message of love and moral grounds. It's better than giving a toy gun."

Were those the only two choices, sacrilegious dolls or a toy gun?

Huggable Jesus recites John 14:6: "I'm the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the father except through me." You can hear all his words on the Huggable website.

The couples' website calls the dolls "a wholesome alternative to teddy bears and stuffed animals."

Are stuffed animals and teddy bears unwholesome? Oh, yeah, now I remember the Satanic stink over the stuffed rainbow-colored "My Little Pony" several years ago.

Future Huggable Old Testament dolls are planned, including Jonah, David and Noah. No word yet on whether the couple will also offer "bad guy" dolls like Satan, King Herod, and the Caananites for the good guys to trounce and destroy.

My favorite remarks about the Huggables comes from blog Conservatives for American Ideals:
...This is not a stuffed representation of the Jesus we all know and love. This is not the Jesus that hates sodomites, loves unfettered free market capitalism, and supports the War on Terror. This doll is a false idol of a false god created by liberals who want to undermine our Christian faith. These liberal nonbelievers co-opted Christ and remade him in their own twisted image. They created a pseudo-Jesus who preaches tolerance toward all, respect for women, and a concern for the poor. I hate this so-called Christ with every fiber of my being.

| | | | | |

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think Moses wouldn't be at all 'huggable'...yecch.

The little pony thing was a joke, tho. The same guy was also behind 'satan trek.'

Anonymous said...

I'm disgusted. Not by the doll, but your thoughts and attitude. I would say...go to hell...but, honestly, I don't think there is a need.

Unknown said...

Oh give me a break "Anonymous" You can say bad things but too afraid to tell us who you are. Do you wear a white hood at night too?